Steel columns Square hollow sections

I’m trying to introduce structural steel columns into a timber frame? neither the column tool or beam tool seems to provide this function, Is there another way?

1 Like

Hi Bostonalchemist,

Yes there is a way to currently do this, which I’ve explained below. The image below will also help explain the steps.

1. Make sure there are two separate walls by either drawing them as such or using the :split_wall_tool: Split Wall Tool. Note: Make sure the split is aligned with one side of the steel column.
  2. Right-click on one of the walls & select ‘+ WALLS > Adv. Framing Options’ (Wall#2 was used in the image below).
  3. Enter the size of the desired column into the ‘Offset Frame (Start)’ field to move the frame & click Submit. Tip: Make sure the corner configurations are correct (you can always come back & edit this).
  4. There are two options to choose from:
  • Option 1) Go to the :component_tool: Component Tool, select the Structural Steel category (it should be selected by default) & choose the Hollow Section Column option, click Submit & place the column in the model. Then in the Edit Component dialog (which should’ve just appeared), select the desired size, click Submit & move the column into the gap created in Step 3.
  • Option 2) Go to the :beam_tool: Beam Tool, select the Profile/Type that best suits the column you’re trying to draw & then select the size of the column (you may need to create a material if the size isn’t available), then draw the column into the model at the gap created in Step 3. Tip: Use the up arrow will lock it to the blue/vertical axis.

Note: If you want to do it to the opposite wall you’ll need to adjust the ‘Offset Frame (End)’ field & have the split on the other side of the steel column.

1 Like

Thanks Grant, this has helped me a great deal, however one last question I am trying to introduce a 200 x 100 x 6mm RHS as a vertical column! this size isn’t in the drop down size list? In beam tool how do I “create a material” Thanks again for your help.

I did this video a while ago, it shows how to create multiple materials at the 5-minute mark; however, this is a great video if you want to do quick estimates from a 2D plan inside Sketchup without having to draw the model.