Potential for Integration Between PlusSpec and designPH/PHPP

I’m currently working on Passive House projects and using PlusSpec for SketchUp alongside PHPP and designPH. As you know, designPH allows you to model a building and then import that geometry directly into PHPP for energy analysis.

I wondered if PlusSpec is considering or has plans for integration with designPH/PHPP. Specifically, I’m interested in going beyond just importing geometry and being able to model and detail all the individual building components (such as windows, wall assemblies, and materials) within PlusSpec. The goal would be to have these details directly imported into PHPP, streamlining the process and improving accuracy for Passive House projects.

Is this something that’s being explored or on the roadmap for PlusSpec?

That would be a great addition to Plusspec for us DesignPH/PHPP users.

It would be interesting to know what format the geometry must be in to import and what type of data it can read. Is it an Australian or American company?

I assume it has an import option?
Have you used Sefaira?? It would be easier to integrate with that as it is part of Trimble/ Sketchup.

Thanks, Gareth and Andrew, for the feedback!

@Andrew, designPH is a plugin developed by the Passive House Institute specifically for SketchUp. It exports building geometry and key energy-related data (like windows, shading, and orientation) into PHPP for energy performance analysis. It uses a dedicated XML format that PHPP can read for seamless integration.

I’m not familiar with Sefaira, but from what I understand, it offers great energy analysis tools. However, designPH is more focused on the specific criteria needed for Passive House standards, which PHPP ultimately manages. The idea I’m exploring is whether PlusSpec could enhance its ability to model more detailed building components—like materials, wall assemblies, and even services—and have those details imported into PHPP via designPH or directly.

Just to note, I’m only an end user, but it may be worth reaching out to the International Passive House Institute directly to explore potential integration ideas. Someone like Jason Quinn from Sustainable Engineering in NZ could also provide valuable insights on how this could work in practice for Passive House projects.

Looking forward to see where this can potentially go.