Fill in Gable Material Different Options than Siding

Trying to create some gable roofs but when I go fill in siding it does not have the same material options as siding on walls. I’m trying to just imitate 6" hardieplank. Which is very common in our market (maybe a better question is can we just get that added?) Screenshot for clarity:

Here is the options for the wall siding. Using this coastal malbec as a substitute:

Then here is the options for siding for under the gable:

Any help is appreciated!
JP

Hi JP,

This appears to be something that was missed as I believe the intention was to have the same materials available for each field. I’ll take this back to the dev team for further discussion.

In the meantime, I would recommend doing the following:

1. Draw a wall in the model with the desired material.
  2. Go to the Materials section of the Default Tray & click on the Home icon. This should show a list of all materials in the model.
  3. Locate the desired material from the list. If you use the Sample Paint feature (eye dropper icon) it should select the material for you.
  4. Right-click on material & select Export Texture Image. Save the image somewhere on you computer (the desktop is usually the quickest & easiest).
  5. Open the Hip Roof Tool & go to the Gable/Dutch Gable material field.
  6. Click on the Create/Manage & follow the steps to create a new material.

After complete the above steps the same material should then appear in the material field. Note: Prices & other takeoff features will need to be hooked up for each instance of the material.

If you’re using PlusDesignBuild, another option would be to use the :custom_estimation_tool: Custom Estimation Tool to apply the material to the gable face.

Thanks for the help Grant.

It’s still not showing up for some reason. Looks like I was able to successfully add to my material library, and it shows it as under the wall and roof tool for gable and external:

Did a restart of sketchup and plusspec is showing material library up to date:

Unfortunately, the custom material put in doesn’t seem to show up:

Confirmed I had entered it for United States Materials. Not sure what other parameters might be missing. As always, thanks for the help!

I’ve got a feeling I know what’s happened. After you created the material, did you drag & drop the material into the dialog OR have you synced you materials using the :sync_tool: Sync Tool?

Note: The drag & drop functionality can only be done when the material is created by clicking & holding the image marked as “original Image”. This feature is also only available for Windows computers, Mac has to sync after creating materials.

1 Like

That did it thank you!. I thought everything was sync’d based on this:

Syncing fixed it. Thank you!