How can I add an air barrier to an exterior wall

PlusSpec: PlusDesignBuild
Version: PlusSpec 24.0
Skp Version: SketchUp 23

Hi, how can I add an air barrier to an exterior wall and make that quantifiable? The air barriers are located between the stud and the gypsum.

In the wall selection tool under materials. What other uses can I use the “termite” barrier for? In Canada, we don’t use this product in normal circumstances, but it seems that the software can only place the material under the sole plate of the stud, and therefore, I cannot customise where this layer could go and therefore not use it as a wall layer.

Thank you, Gareth

Hi Gareth,

The best way to achieve an estimating “air barrier” would be to create a recipe in the takeoff & then link the recipe with the gypsum material(s). This will basically give the air barrier the same value as gypsum but will quantify it as a separate item. Also, if you need the gap to have a distance, I would recommend creating new gypsum material & allow for this distance along with the gypsum thickness (i.e. air barrier + gypsum thickness = total material thickness). This will make it so that the wall dimensions will be as it will be constructed.

Another option to use the “termite barrier” field could be used if you’d like an additional way of getting the length of walls. If you create a new material (e.g. call it ‘Frame Wall Length’), then in the takeoff, you could then use the override items feature along with other features to give yourself a lot of flexibility.

1 Like

@Gareth @grant the air barrier would be created by a batten, Either vertically or horizontally, as the dry wall can’t be fixed to think air.
FYI,. The option to add a batten is inside the frame section of the wall tool :wall_tool:.
You can also add a batten inside a cavity wall which is probably the best method of insulation.

2 Likes

You can add an air gap with a cavity or with a wall batten, I assume the question relates to a wall batten.

1. Click the wall tool and create wall
  2. Choose the wall type you intend on using ( it could be lightweight, masonry or solid)
  3. Click the framing tab
  4. Scroll down to batten and choose internal or external
  5. choose your spacing and batten direction
  6. Click submit and draw your wall