Exposed Rafter Tails

Hi guys,

Any way to do exposed rafter tails? Looking to get to something like this:

I believe I’ve tried every setting in the roof tool to no avail. I was hoping the “none” on fascia materials would do it but it’s still left with this:

Any help appreciated!
JP

Hi JP,

The roof tools don’t have any structural members in them (except for valley members in the Hip Roof Tool), so to add the exposed rafter tails you’ll need to use the Rafter Tool once the roof has been generated. To learn how to use this tool, click on the orange ? icon in the top right corner of the dialog.

Note: You’ll likely need to also adjust some of the values in the roof tool dialog to get the desired result.

Hi Grant,

Appreciate the help. Just gave it a shot and none of the rafters look like they show up. despite clicking through all the tags to try to view it.

I assume the rafters are only visible or generated as part of plusdesignbuild like the other framing features?

Thanks,
-JP

Are you using PlusSpec pro? PlusArchitect and PlusDesignBuild have roof rafters.
To show exposed rafters; In the roof tool tick fascia off and set the eave to raked. Triple-click the roof cladding until it turns blue dotted then right click > Create Roof rafters.

Thanks user15. Yes using/evaluating PlusSpec Pro to see if it will work for us. Thanks for the explanation. Have tried that without luck, so will obviously require the higher end versions to do this. Thanks, JP

Hi JP,

Another reason the rafters might not be appearing may be because the tag/layer is turned off OR you’re on a scene that has some tags/layers turned off. After generating the rafters (if you have access to this tool in your version), if you go to the All scene OR click on the :see_all: See All Tool does the geometry appear?

Hi Grant. Yeah I painstakingly made sure every layer was on along with using the All scene. I believe it’s just not included in PlusSpec and only in PlusArchitect or PlusDesignBuild.

For what it’s worth, Pro does make rafters. They should be easy to generate, and findable through tags. I can’t say what’s going in your case, but it should be possible!

1 Like

@JamisonW, try reducing the fascia size from 6 inches to 2 inches inside the roof tool :hip_roof_tool: and choose “raked” eave in the “eave type” drop-down. If you drew them, the rafters will be there, yet my guess is they are hidden inside the eave.

You could click see all :see_all:, use the Xray mode OR click on the “Struct” scene to double check.
Rafters under roof eave in PlusSpec for Sketchup

1 Like